Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What Do I Really Need?

Money Diva's post Needs vs Wants got me thinking about this challenging subject.

Where do my "needs" end and my "wants" begin? I'm not sure.

I know I could live a lot cheaper than I do now. I know one guy who lives on a boat. I know beautiful places where I could live in a homemade houseboat with no taxes and no utility bills. I could invest the money in my house in the stock market. It might make a nice retreat to write a fiction novel. Only the seals, sea otters, bald eagles, sea gulls and the sound of the wind in the trees and waves to distract me.

But then...I would have to haul water, firewood etc. Sounds like a lot of physical work. There's also the winter rainy season to consider. I wonder- Could I write a story about a guy who lives on a houseboat and make it all income tax deductible?

Of course my wife would never go for that plan, so I guess my/our needs are somewhere between that option and where I'm at today. For the time being I will stay put and just visit those places on warm summer days when the sun is dancing on the water and you can see the mountain tops

... but it's always good to have a backup plan.

No comments: